SCVi offers Santa Clarita’s only IB Programme and is proud to give all learners the opportunity to either pursue the full IB Diploma or elect to study individual IB subjects.
“The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.”
To this end, the organization works with schools, governments, and international organizations to develop challenging programs of international education and rigorous assessment.
These programs encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate, and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
Every learner should consider challenging themselves with International Baccalaureate (IB) coursework, whether at the diploma level or at the diploma certificate level for the following reasons:
- Colleges and universities value applicants who took advantage of the academic opportunities offered to them at their high school. Since SCVi offers IB, universities like to see learners challenging themselves with these rigorous IB courses.
- The types of research, writing, thinking, and communicating of ideas required by IB courses reflect college-level expectations. IB not only helps learners get into college but, more importantly, prepares learners to be successful at college and beyond.
- Depending on the IB score earned and individual college policy, IB scores may lead to earning college credits prior to entering the institution and/or advanced-course placement, allowing a learner to skip a lower division course requirement.**
- An IB education is unique because of its rigorous academic and personal standards. IB programs challenge students to excel not only in their studies but also in their personal growth. The IB aims to inspire a lifelong quest for learning hallmarked by enthusiasm and empathy. To that end, the IB gathers a worldwide community of supporters who celebrate our common humanity and share a belief that education can help build a better world.
- The IB connects this higher purpose with the practical details of teaching and learning. A global community of IB World Schools put these principles into practice, developing standards for high-quality education to which they hold themselves mutually accountable. An IB education represents a testament to the power of this collaboration.
- Education is an act of hope in the face of an always-uncertain future. An IB education calls forth the very best in students and educators alike. The IB believes that together we can help to prepare students for living and working in a complex, highly interconnected world.
IB and College Admission
Watch the videos to hear from university officials why the IB diploma is excellent preparation for university studies.
The IB assessment is competency-inspired, framework-based, and authentically developed. Every day, more world’s leading universities recognize IB exams as rigorous, relevant, authentic, and excellent for preparing lifelong learners in any educational and professional endeavor. The IB has shown over the course of almost 40 years, with 2,000 IB World Schools in 124 countries, that students are well prepared for university work (IBO).
Please be advised of the procedure for payment of IB external assessments. The IB exam registration fee payment plan begins in October of the first year of participation.
*For fees associated with the IB Diploma Programme, please contact SCVi’s IB Coordinator.
**Please visit individual university websites for their IB credit/advanced course placement policy.
IB and SCVi Partnership
Members of the SCVi IB team (learners, facilitators, and administrators) have been in constant collaboration with the International Baccalaureate Global Headquarters (Hague, Netherlands) since 2013. Some of these collaborative initiatives include the following:
- Development of workshops: Power and Impact of Digital Assessment
- Technology Literacy
SCVi representatives participated in an initiative for creative frameworks for technology literacy. Using SCVi’s background and context, we were part of creating the AID (Agency, Information, and Design) framework and guide.
- Evidencing Portfolios Initiative
Advantages of the Full Diploma
- Coordinated Education
- Courses all have inquiry-based focus
- Hands-on investigations
- Choice in major projects
- Common topics investigated in many classes
- Coordination of due dates
- Sense of community
- Among learners
- With facilitators
- Second high school diploma that is recognized worldwide.
- Courses with an international focus
- Many US colleges confer course credit and other privileges to IB Diploma holders
- Six classes from the five disciplines and one art
- Three classes are Higher Level (HL) and the others are Standard Level (SL)
- Theory of Knowledge
- Extended Essay
- Creativity, Action, and Service
- GROUP 1: Language A
- GROUP 2: Language B ( Second Language)
- GROUP 3: Individuals and Societies (History)
- GROUP 4: Experimental Sciences
- GROUP 5: Mathematics
- GROUP 6: Arts (Theatre, Visual Arts)